superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:12:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP, Dick Siegel (1955-2018)  (Read 8070 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 25, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »

Members of this forum might like to know that Dick Siegel has died. Siegel was a member here for many years, posting as Klar Ken T5477.

Dick often shared hints of his comic book writing projects here, and often discussed his work as an editor and writer for Weekly World News and National Enquirer. He had an extensive comics and film bio, besides his work as a journalist, humour writer, and pop culture historian.

Here is his IMDB page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0797000/bio

Here is a profile of Siegel from GQ, from around the time the Enquirer was seriously being considered for a Pulitzer because of their coverage of the John Edwards political scandal:

Edwards was the first major story the Enquirer broke online. "We're the last of the Mohicans in terms of discovering our Web site," Levine says. They caught Edwards at the Beverly Hilton after that week's paper locked; worried that Edwards would attempt to spin the story before next week's edition, they posted the story on the Web site on Tuesday morning.

The Enquirer's full-time Web staff consists of one guy. Dick Siegel is in his fifties, works out of a cubicle decorated with color rod comic-book covers from the '60s; the fact that he's an obvious pop-culture junkie ("I was able to write Fess Parker's obit, or 90 percent of it, off the top of my head, which is scary") makes him the ideal man to run the Enquirer's Web site, where Old Hollywood types—Natalie Wood, Ingrid Bergman—tend to get more hits than Justin Bieber and the Jersey Shore kids. (By way of illustration, he pulls up a recent blog post, sourced to Carrie Fisher's Twitter, about speed fiend eddie fisher.)

"My forte is not journalism," Siegel says. "I'd be fired. I had been working at the late, lamented Weekly World News. That was after my film jobs—I'd been an independent-film cinematographer. Really bad horror movies. Including one that I wrote, about zombies at a women's prison."
He tells me that the Weekly World News gig was good training for what he does now. You learned to write short stories, in AP style, even if they concerned the travails of Bat Boy, "and present them in a serious manner, even if the punch line was a joke."
But it makes sense that someone with Siegel's background wound up at the Enquirer. The tabs are a form of rogue pop culture. They're vehicles for celebrity adoration, but they burrow, termitelike, into the sanctioned narratives of American fame. They're camp—a form of fantasy that revels and resists. They're a comic-book, zombie-movie draft of Hollywood history, right down to the zingy sobriquets.
"It's like professional wrestling," Siegel says. "When we wrote about Tiger Woods's wife, we always described her as 'livid,' so now she's always 'livid Elin.' And Rielle Hunter is 'the New-Age Temptress.'"
Heroes and villains, in primary colors. "That's what separates the giant scandals from the everyday scandals," Levine says, explaining to me why Tiger Woods and Edwards, stepping out on his cancer-stricken wife, were tabloid rocket fuel. "If somebody is a hero and they do something unthinkable, something unconscionable, if the betrayal is so overwhelmingly dirty and sickening, that's what makes what we do."

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »

Klar's posts here at the STTA forum http://forum.superman.nu/index.php?action=profile;u=111;sa=showPosts

A brief obit by BK Munn https://frequential.blogspot.com/2018/06/dick-siegel1955-2018.html

Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/MarsFilm

S!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:52:10 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »

Whoa, my old login still works. Incredible.

I am so sorry to hear about Dick Siegel. He was a great one. When I was a young kid, I wanted to move to Ft. Meyers to work for the Weekly World News and he even wrote a letter of recommendation for me. It never worked out, alas, but he had my back.

He even gave me an introduction to a personal hero of mine, David Anthony Kraft. For years, I thought DAK was just a pen name for Steve Englehart, since Kraft followed Stainless Steve and even used his characters on various Defenders runs, so it was a surprise to find out he was a real person. I mentioned this to Dick in passing and he said, "oho, didn't you know he was a friend of mine from art school?" And he made an introduction. Cool guy, great artist too.

Once, I asked Dick why he shortened his name to Dick and he said that it was due to the fact he wanted to sign his name with a D like Walt Disney.

He was an endless resource for pulp know-how. He knew everything there was to know on everyone from Nictzin Dyalhis to Leigh Brackett. I think his love of Superman is an extension of his love of pulp scifi and the Astounding era.

If you can, read his book, "Alien Creatures," which had Superman.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L