superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman and Lois  (Read 9767 times)
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« on: March 17, 2021, 01:03:38 AM »

Has anyone seen this? What do you think so far?
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 03:51:12 PM »

I've seen the first 3 episodes and I have to say I like it a lot better than I thought I would. Admittedly, that's easy since I thought I wouldn't like it at all.

My only exposure to Tyler Hoechlin's Superman prior to this was a few Youtube snippets of his appearances on "Supergirl" and the big "Crisis" thing and honestly I wasn't that impressed.  On this new show, he's much more appealing and I've totally embraced his interpretation of Superman/Clark.  After the Snyder films, it's frankly a joy to see Superman played as such a relentlessly optimistic, decent and centered character, and even though I've never been into the whole "Superman as a dad" thing in comics, I have to say it's really working for me, here.  The kids are also far more likable than I expected and at least so far not totally drowning in typical CW teen soap excess.  

If there's a weak spot for me, it's Lois, but I'm working on it.   I'm on the fence about the use of her dad as a "frenemy" to Superman, and I'm giving it time.  The move to Smallville is another change I wasn't sure I'd like, but so far it's working for me, and really there's no reason why Superman needs to live in Metropolis if he can get anywhere on Earth in a second anyway.

The cinematography, special effects and music have been, so far, more on par with a motion picture than a TV show and are certainly miles above anything I remember on the CW's "Flash" show.

Overall, a nice surprise.  Allowing for the fact that no one will ever make a show or movie about "my" Superman, it's a happy compromise to watch a show that changes a lot of the surface details while staying true to the basic character.  For now at least, I'm a fan.

Not a fan of the title, though.  Hard to believe it's the best they could do. Given the focus of the show, I wish they would've given a nod to the Bronze Age and called it "Superman Family."

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:52:47 PM by nightwing » Logged

This looks like a job for...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 11:20:32 PM »

Interesting, I might watch some of it now. Based on seeing the Crisis stuff, I was also sure that I would hate it.

I didn't hate what I saw of Krypton, but that got cancelled pretty quickly. And as happy as I was to see Kara back, it looks like that show is on the chopping block as well. (What the new execs did to the Swamp Thing show is worthy of the Phantom Zone projector.)

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L