superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman SE DVD worth buying?  (Read 4207 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: November 02, 2003, 11:20:31 PM »

I want to purchase the Superman SE but I was told this is not the complete movie. Back in the 80s, ABC aired a super-extended edition?! Will WBs release this edition?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 03:45:48 PM »

It's absolutely worth it.  It's beautifully restored and in fact looks better than it did in the theaters in 1978 (in part because they've been able to color correct the costume to blue, instead of the aqua it had to be for blue-screen shots to work originally).  Plus it sounds terrific.

There are added sequences here, like the "gauntlet" Superman must walk on the way to Luthor's lair, and a really great conversation between Superman and Jor-El.  Richard Donner added those scenes he felt would add something, but some of the "ABC" stuff stayed out.  Never fear, though, as even those scenes can be found in the "extras" section.  I doubt there will ever be a DVD that has all the scenes inserted in the movie, and having seen them all, I think it's just as well.

Best of all, the price on this thing seems to drop all the time. It's only like 15 bucks now.  So go for it!

This looks like a job for...
THE-SAINT
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »

the dvd has great sound and replaces some of the original sound effects with even better versions. The only problem with the special features is that there are only two deleted scenes included, leaving a lot of the cut footage out. Hopefully we'll see a two disc version soon. But at the moment the special edition is a great addition to any collection.
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 03:07:13 PM »

I've seen Superman: the movie twice on the big screen when it originally came out.  I've seen it on tv.  The premiere was split into two parts when it came out, that was in Canada on channel 12.  They featured a lot of the scenes that were not on the big screen.  From what I understood, longer movie permitted the channel to put more commercials.  From then on, Superman: the movie was on the tv many-many times.  I didn't even have a video back then.  BUT, I recall taping it on a 4 track cassette...  You could hear people moving in the background or eating chips, ect...  LOL!!!  
Finally some years later videos saw the light of day and boy, did I rent it often.  That was until someone could duplicate it for me.  At that time, buying movies was not something even thought of!  Did I use that tape!  Eventually it aired on tv late in the night on channel twelve.  This is where I taped my first extended cut.  The problem was that for some reason, one scene or another was always missing.  It's as though, the only way to get the longest cut was to make it yourself!  
So, point of all this is that there was never an official extended clean long cut that payed hommage as it should to one of the greatest movie and greatest folklore hero of our time.
Wb changed that.  Even though they are severly judged and criticized, Wb has done some serious fine work in there.  darn if you do, darn if you don't seems to be the attitude of a lot of fans.  
As someone as mentionned above, there's been color correction which is really great and the addition of some sound effects.  Personally, it doesn't bother me one way of the other about the sound.  But, if I had to cut the line somewhere, I'd say I like the new sounds.  If you're gonna do something with the movie, why not?  It's doesn't alter the story or anything.  Then, for me, there's a scene in there where Supes talks with his father after the first night.  I had never seen this (or I forgot???).  This scene was filled with emotion.  It really touched me.  This scene alone justified the cost of the dvd.  In there though, you have a lot of extra scenes that are "branched" in for the first time.  Some of the fans' work is stupendous but it's always more fun to have official release from the studio.
I'm not even getting into the movie score that has it's own track, the extras, gallery, beautiful menu screen ect...
In short, buy it man...

Phro
Supermen of America

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 03:04:27 PM »

Quote from: "Invader ZIM"
I want to purchase the Superman SE but I was told this is not the complete movie. Back in the 80s, ABC aired a super-extended edition?! Will WBs release this edition?

Hell yeah its worth it! Whoever told you its not the complete movie, is mistaken.

Unless of course if what was meant about not complete is that the DVD does not have 100% of all deleted scenes.

My only beef with the DVD is I kinda wish Christopher Reeve did a commentary.

"Say, Jim!!....Wooo!"
"Excuse Me..."
"That's a BAAD OUT-FIT!!.....Wooo!"
-proof that even Pimps recognize Superman's coolness
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L