superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Superman Multiverse  (Read 44723 times)
WILL_GILLIES
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2004, 05:35:31 PM »

Quote from: "India Ink"
Oh there's just so many you could drive yourself crazy trying to account for 'em all.

Like Earth 2/"golden age" Superboy (unofficial--but Superman was a boy in  More Fun and Adventure during the forties).

Wouldn't that just be the Silver Age Superman as a boy?

Whilst the Golden Age Superman was in Action Comics,Superman,his younger Earth 1 Counterpart was in More Fun.

remember there was No Earth 2 Superboy except in a story where Superboy of Earth 1 meets the young Earth2 Clark Kent.
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2004, 08:37:50 PM »

And now for the latest in the Superman Multiverse series. She made her first appearance in SUPERMAN: THE 10-CENT ADVENTURE, and she claims to be the daughter of the Man of Steel and Lois Lane from the future. Love her or hate her, here she is ... Cir-El.

Saving the world ... one pixel at a time.
Proud member of StrikeForce Superman.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2004, 09:08:02 PM »

Sorry man. Not even your talent and care can save that design.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 02:04:35 AM »

I hope she dies soon.

At least you tried, but Da Vinci could draw her and it would still be terrible.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2004, 02:46:14 AM »

Quote from: "TriSaber"
And now for the latest in the Superman Multiverse series. She made her first appearance in SUPERMAN: THE 10-CENT ADVENTURE, and she claims to be the daughter of the Man of Steel and Lois Lane from the future. Love her or hate her, here she is ... Cir-El.

I would be one of those that hate her Smiley  And thank you for putting her HERE instead of the Supergirl forum Smiley

That said.    The art work is still fantastic, Tri!.  Good work.

Oh...and Super Monkey...she IS dead Smiley  Cir-El is no more Smiley

(At least that is what I am being given to understand)
Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2004, 09:57:37 PM »

Quote from: "WILL_GILLIES"
Quote from: "India Ink"
Oh there's just so many you could drive yourself crazy trying to account for 'em all.

Like Earth 2/"golden age" Superboy (unofficial--but Superman was a boy in  More Fun and Adventure during the forties).

Wouldn't that just be the Silver Age Superman as a boy?

Whilst the Golden Age Superman was in Action Comics,Superman,his younger Earth 1 Counterpart was in More Fun.

remember there was No Earth 2 Superboy except in a story where Superboy of Earth 1 meets the young Earth2 Clark Kent.

I had hoped that I would get support from Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics (www.dcindexes.com), but his site not only supports Will's view, it develops it into a rigid scheme that reinterprets those 1940s stories as if they were set on Earth 1--overlaying the continuity of a later date onto these stories and ignoring contrary continuity as anomalies.

This tortures logic.  Of course these stories were published in the 40s and are therefore "golden age" in the true sense  that we usually intend that term.  And of course these stories weren't set on Earth 1.  Because the concept of Earth 1 didn't exist until the sixties.

Anyone can force a retroactive continuity onto these stories if they want, but we have to be honest and admit that's what we're doing.  So I can say these stories occurred on Earth 1, or Earth 2, or Earth B--but in doing so I'm making retroactive judgements based on later stories, and not based in fact.

There was only one Superman in the minds of the readers at the time, and the stories (on the covers of Adventure Comics) were advertised as stories of SUPERMAN when he was a boy.  Therefore the boy presented to the reader is intended as the junior version of Superman (in the "golden age"--who we now identify with the Earth 2 Superman).  And he's wearing the current costume of that Superman (with the differently styled red 'S').

Will is right, being as his assertions are based on later fan judgements about retroactive continuity (ie. this must be Earth 1 Clark Kent as a boy, because Earth 2 Clark Kent was never supposed to have been Superboy).  But I'm also right as I'm using entirely different criteria.

My main point stands as this version of Superboy looks different from the usual George Papp/Curt Swan styled version--he's younger (about eight or ten, I'd say) and therefore shorter, and he has a different style 'S' emblem--so that should be enough to qualify him for treatment by TriSaber if he so chooses.  Which was what I meant.

Given anomalies of continuity have been used to retroactively establish alternate Earth versions of characters, there are enough anomalies between this Superboy and the later Earth 1 Superboy to suggest at least that this could be another alternate version of Superboy.

The other day I was reading an early sixties Legion story where Chameleon Boy was shown meeting with an alternate universe version of himself, so if that existed in Legion continuity even back then, then it's possible Superboy had alternate versions of himself, as well.

India Ink
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2004, 10:47:41 PM »

I'd like to learn more about Perry Ross, the Genetic Superman. Anyone know where I could find synopses for that comic or actually buy an issue online? Great artwork by the way, I can't wait till you get your page up. Cheesy

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2004, 05:03:18 AM »

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the compliment on my work. I tried my best with Cir-El ... even though I agree with most people that, after having learned more about her background, I think she's one el lame-o character.

And, RedSun, here's an excerpt from the bio I wrote on Perry Ross. In a nutshell, it goes something like this:

In an alternate reality separate from the current mainstream universe, five key members of the Justice League of America — Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and Green Lantern — were killed when the malevolent wizard Felix Faust unleased the power of the demons Abnegazar, Rath and Gast in a cataclysmic explosion. The only survivor was J'onn J'onzz, alias the Martian Manhunter. While Faust succeeded in conquering Earth, J'onzz began a secret resistance movement known as the Children of Justice disguised as an aged scientist named Dr. Martin Jonas. During this time, J'onzz launched a plan in which a new Justice League would be created by means of metagene experimentation. One of the six volunteers was Perry Ross, who manifested powers similar to those of the original Superman and was considered to be the most successful of this new team of metahumans. Each of these individuals were given variations of the uniforms worn by the long deceased members of the original JLA, and Ross assumed the identity of Superman. The purpose of this new Justice League was to foster unrest in the hope that Earth's general population would revolt against Faust's totalitarian rule. However, Faust had secretly discovered the Children of Justice's metahuman testing program, and he convinced Ross to sabotage the League's missions so that they could become the victims of negative publicity by promising Ross fame and the adoration of the masses. Ross found it extremely difficult to live up to the original Superman's heroic ideals, but still desired to be a hero at any cost. During a mission to rescue two prominent Children of Justice members, Superman finally turned on the rest of the JLA and led them into a trap where they would be killed by the same mystic spell that Faust used to destroy the original JLA. However, the spell backfired due to the intervention of the original JLA's spirits, and both Faust and Ross became trapped in an otherdimensional netherworld with apparently no hope of escape. Now finally free of Faust's spell, the souls of the original League members went to their final reward, and J'onzz and the new JLA set about the task of rebuilding their world.

Saving the world ... one pixel at a time.
Proud member of StrikeForce Superman.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L