superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:10:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Superman Multiverse  (Read 45233 times)
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 11:44:12 PM »

Unfortunately I'm not  having luck finding Hyperman pics.

However, even though the GCD is down, if you know the code it's possible to pull cover pics.  So here's a pic for Superman of 2965 (when this was reprinted in the early seventies the date was changed to 2465)--

The main difference is in the hair that swoops across his forehead (not easy to see from this profile shot) and a difference in the chin.

If I knew the code for Action Comics I could probably pull some other useful cover pics.

I said I would use Christopher Reeve's likeness for Gregory Reed, because even though George Reeves was the inspiration originally, I feel Chris is more appropriate given overall continuity.

In his first appearance Greg was drawn by Swan and Anderson.  And I've always felt the Swanderson version of Superman much resembles Christopher Reeve (by a stroke of sheer coincidence, since Reeve hadn't got the Superman part as yet in those days).   So Swan and Anderson drew Greg (in full make-up) to look just like Supes.

Before the Superman movie came to the screen, when Chris was announced as the new Superman in Amazing World of DC Comics they made sure to point out the striking resemblance between Chris and the Swan Superman.

Later in the seventies, when Greg was used (he had been miraculously restored to full health so he now indeed resembled Superman) it was clear that the writers were intending him to be the Earth 1 version of Christopher Reeve (or at least an amalgam of both Reeves and Reeve).

India Ink
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 12:46:43 AM »

Also the concept of future Supermen (this time in the near future) was revisited in the early eighties--see the Starlin heads at the bottom of this cover from Superman 355:

(that's "Superman of the Year 2020")

India Ink
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 02:14:30 PM »

Thanks a lot, Nightwing and India Ink. These really help me out. I appreciate the time you folks took to give me a hand. And that goes for everybody else, too.

Saving the world ... one pixel at a time.
Proud member of StrikeForce Superman.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 05:20:21 PM »

Quote from: "Defender"

Does it show that I like Elseworlds? Wink

-Def.

I think Elseworlds is something whos full potential has yet to be realized. If the whole point is to offer up alternative version of famous DC charcters then why not use it to tell stories with the Golden or Silver Age Superman that are no longer part of mainline? Or maybe some stories set in the continuity of the radio show or the movies?

Something a bit more than just "what if", dark future,  "You've got your power ring in my Kryptonian physiology!" or Batman as a pirate stories.

For example, I was totally with Superboys Legion right up until someone got their hand chomped off and they had to do another fall of the superheroes thing with the backstory.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 07:21:14 PM »

>oops< Looks like those cover scans aren't showing up anymore--at least not on my computer screen.  Hope everyone got to see them before they disappeared.  You can also peruse (some of) these cover scans on Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics and the Mile High Comics internet store--it's just that I cant img them on the message board.

India Ink
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 10:39:36 PM »

All this discussion about the various versions of Superman is great, and it's helping me to keep my focus as I'm designing my site. However, I haven't seen anyone comment on my Mr. Majestic question yet. Any thoughts, anyone?

Oh yeah ... I'm forgetting the Kryptonoid from SUPERMAN #328-329.

TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2004, 02:54:54 AM »

Well, it's finally done. I present you with the very first in my new series of illustrations dedicated to the Superman Family. Here's my own personal take on the Golden Age Superman done in my own animated style. This one took a while because I was trying to decide what the definitive look for Kal-L was. Do I draw the triangular "S" emblem? Do I make him look more like the Superman of the Fleischer Animated serials? Do I make him look more like how he was portrayed in All-Star Squadron and prior to the Crisis on Infinite Earths? But I finally opted for patterning him after the 1940s painting (shown beside my illustration. Hope y'all like what ya see, and as usual comment is invited from everyone.

Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2004, 03:51:20 AM »

You continue to amaze me, Tri Smiley

Looks fantastic.

(But I hope this doesn't delay the Legion too much  :wink: )

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L