superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:57:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Superman Multiverse  (Read 44722 times)
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2004, 12:15:07 PM »

Superboy once met Mighty Boy - a boy from Earth whose family saved him from certain death due to a tidal wave on the tropical island they lived on (by shooting him into outer space no less).  On a distant planet Mighty Boy would develop super human powers and along with mighty dog they fought for justice.  The two became super pals but it turned out that due to the conditions of the planets solar system Superboy was actually "red kryptonite" for Mighty Boy - thus the two could not share adventures or be super playmates together.  Story was first printed in Superboy #85 and later reprinted in one of the Superman Giant Annuals in the early 1960's (which is where I found the story)

Thanks to the Superman Who's Who page for the picture.  That is one awesome site[/url]

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2004, 01:37:14 PM »

And here's a re-do of the Golden Age Superman with a few improvements over the old. I wasn't really happy with his pose, plus I wanted to rework the colour to fall into step with the style I'm using for Cir-El and the Pre-Crisis Superman. One more thing I wanted to add that I didn't in the previous version ... the patented Golden Age squint!

Saving the world ... one pixel at a time.
Proud member of StrikeForce Superman.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2004, 09:00:12 PM »

You nailed it! Stocky build, short cape and that Wayne Boring "I'm not flying, I'm running in mid-air" pose.

Great stuff.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2004, 11:10:21 PM »

Quote from: "TriSaber"
And here's a re-do of the Golden Age Superman with a few improvements over the old. I wasn't really happy with his pose, plus I wanted to rework the colour to fall into step with the style I'm using for Cir-El and the Pre-Crisis Superman. One more thing I wanted to add that I didn't in the previous version ... the patented Golden Age squint!

Perfect!

Amazing job!

Superman's a lot harder to draw than it looks huh Wink

When I draw Superman, I always draw him with the Golden Age squint Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2004, 04:57:20 PM »

Yep. It is harder to nail down Superman's appearance than most people believe ... especially when you're trying to capture the period look that you're shooting for.

For example, most people would look at the Pre-Crisis Superman, the Post-Crisis Superman and the Birthright Superman and say "Meh! What's the difference?" In actual fact (and I'm sure all of you posters here are aware of this), there are a few differences that distinguish each one.

The Pre-Crisis Superman's emblem has a more curved shield shape and a thicker "S" than the other two versions, the cape only goes as far as the knees in length, and attaches more snugly to the collar of Superman's shirt, and the blue in his uniform is more of a sky-like blue than the other two, as well. Also, the emblem is not as large. This is the look that Curt Swan developed for the Pre-Crisis Superman, and I take it as the definitive appearance for this version of the Man of Steel.

The Post-Crisis Superman has a larger, more angular shield shape to his emblem, and the "S" is not quite as thick. The cape is much longer, going down to the ankles, and the collar attachments are much more loose. His facial features should reflect a somewhat younger look than in Curt Swan's Pre-Crisis version. Also, his hair is somewhat longer and sports no curl, being only parted on the left side. This is the look that John Byrne developed for the MAN OF STEEL miniseries, and even Curt Swan himself followed this pattern when he and Jerry Ordway provided the art for SUPERMAN: THE EARTH STEALERS.

The Birthright Superman is basically an amalgam of the previous two incarnations. Like the Pre-Crisis version, the hairstyle has fallen back to the classic curl look with the hair slicked back, but with the addition of sideburns now. Also, his facial features are more chisled than either the Pre-Crisis or Post-Crisis versions. The emblem is still angular and crisp like the Post-Crisis version, but now approaches the size customarily used by Alex Ross in his many paintings of Superman. The length of the cape is still long, but the collar attachments reveal much more of the neck and shoulders, harking back to the days of the Golden Age Superman. This is the look he now sports in the SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT miniseries.

SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2004, 01:46:05 PM »

Here's some new ideas...

1. The new Supergirl (name unknown, but might be Kara Zor-El again)
2.  Kara In-Ze (from the animated series)
3. Pre-Crisis Lois Lane
4. Pre-Crisis Jimy Olsen
5. Pre-Crisis Perry White
6. Pre-Crisis Lex Luthor
7. Post Crisis Lois Lane
8. Post Crisis Jimmy Olsen
9. Post Crisis Perry White
10. Post Crisis Lex Luthor.
11. Superfriends' Superman
12. WB's animated Superman
13. JL animated Superman

So what do you think? See ya!

S

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2004, 03:09:42 PM »

I do to actually. It just gives his face a bit more personality. The only downside is figuring out how to portray any of his vision powers when his eyes are just flat lines.   :lol:

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2004, 04:58:18 PM »

Okay, after much consideration, I've finally figured out the five main entries for my site. They'll be as follows:

1. Golden Age Superman
2. Earth-2 Superman
3. Silver Age (Pre-Crisis or Earth-1) Superman
4. Post-Crisis Superman
5. Birthright Superman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L