superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Which Emblem Should I Use?  (Voting closed: February 10, 2004, 02:53:10 PM)
Trianglar "S" Emblem - 7 (50%)
Fleischer Animated Series Emblem - 4 (28.6%)
Earth -2 Emblem - 3 (21.4%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions, Please  (Read 5416 times)
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: February 10, 2004, 07:53:10 PM »

I'm currently in the middle of reworking my Golden Age Superman image and I'm having a tough time deciding which emblem would be best. So I decided to put the question to the membership. I'd really appreciate everyone's help.

Saving the world ... one pixel at a time.
Proud member of StrikeForce Superman.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 08:59:21 PM »

My two cents:

Discounting the prototypical notched shield, the triangular 'S' emblem is the true original and that's what I voted for.  It looks particularly nifty when it's not too big and maintains its streamlined size.  I'd suggest as above, but with a red border instead of a yellow border.

Could you post the three designs as you have them in mind?

The triangular logo has the added benefit of not suffering from extreme over usage.  The Fleisher logo and the E-2 logo have both been so overused on so many drawings of the "Golden Age Superman" that it isn't funny, especially since neither of those designs was ever actually used in any comic book from the 1930s, 40s, or 50s.  The War of the Worlds Elseworlds is one of the few instances I know of where we've seen the triangular logo since the late 1930s:

Even in the above cover, the triangle is too wide and modern.

Bogdanove also used it (see http://superman.nu/tales2/thesuperman/), but he had it much too large for my tastes.  Again, too modern.

The best dimension and size would be as it appeared on Superman #1

That's the Golden Age.  Smiley

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »

And apparently the majority of people agree with you, Starchild. Y'see, I posted this little question at The Kryptonian and DCU Animated as well as here. And the vast majority of people who responded were in favor of the TRIANGULAR emblem. So I guess that's what I'm gonna stick with.

And thanks for everyone's help!  Cheesy

Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 02:24:52 PM »

I put in my vote for the Fleisher emblem. Speaking of which, I noticed a week ago that you had a Fleisher Superman as your avatar, is that one of your pictures and if so is it displayed on the board somewhere?

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 03:50:01 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
I put in my vote for the Fleisher emblem. Speaking of which, I noticed a week ago that you had a Fleisher Superman as your avatar, is that one of your pictures and if so is it displayed on the board somewhere?

It was indeed one of mine, I based that piece on a mixture of the Fleischer animated style and the Bruce Timm animated technique. I'm not handy to my system at home right now, but when I get a moment, I'll post the the entire image.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 01:55:40 AM »

The Trianglar "S" Emblem is the True Golden Age Superman version. Smiley

The Fleischer Superman is a different guy, he should have his own artwork Smiley

Earth-2 Superman is yet another guy, and should also have his own artwork Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 12:59:36 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
The Trianglar "S" Emblem is the True Golden Age Superman version. Smiley

The Fleischer Superman is a different guy, he should have his own artwork Smiley

Earth-2 Superman is yet another guy, and should also have his own artwork Smiley

Hee! More convenient excuses for me to draw more Supermen!  :wink:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L