superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:30:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman IN THE FORTIES TPB?  (Read 5463 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: March 19, 2004, 06:11:55 AM »

DC has released

Can teh Superman version be far behind? I sure hope not Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 12:08:29 PM »

It's highly rumored (and practically official) that a Superman in the forties will be out.  My only problem with this personally is that I buy all archives (Superman that is).  I'll probably end up owning like half the stories.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 12:26:01 AM »

Quote from: "Brainiac44"
It's highly rumored (and practically official) that a Superman in the forties will be out.  My only problem with this personally is that I buy all archives (Superman that is).  I'll probably end up owning like half the stories.

but they will be on much better paper plus you will get extra stories with the archives.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 11:09:07 AM »

Better paper than the archives???

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 12:51:56 PM »

Quote from: "Brainiac44"
Better paper than the archives???

I said with the archives.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 02:09:27 AM »

Well, I'm hoping for a Superman in the Forties, mainly because I can't afford to buy all the Archives. Yeah, I know that they can be found for less than the full price, but the expense is still beyond my means. I sure wish DC would publish TPB versions of the Archives. Of course, I also wish DC would publish Silver Age Archives for Superman and Batman. It will be years before they reach the 1960s with the current Archives.

Hey, I wonder why these aren't ... in the Thirties and Forties, since both Batman and Superman were only around for, respectively, one and two years of the former decade. It seems a shame to neglect the 1930s, and I'm sure we'll never see ... in the Thirties TPBs.

Has anyone seen an official potential contents list for this TPB? I hope they don't duplicate too much of the Greatest Superman Stories TPB.
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 02:28:03 AM »

I'd probably get a 40's version too..

but this isn't the weisinger superman.. more accurately this is the "political activist" superman. with some redundant plots but a chance to see the Pre-weisinger superman writers (which i have very little knowledge of other than seigel)

And I hope the reprinting cost would be cheaper now because they actually have the archives as a basis so I hopw it would be 14.95 like the crisis on multiple earths TP and not 19.95 like the Superman in the 50's-70's.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 06:52:05 AM »

I saw this is a book store today, it looked great, but they wanted full price for it, anyway, who actually got it?

review:

This affordable selection of stories from the first 10 years of Superman's comic-book career shows the character changing so much during that time that only his unmistakable blue-and-red costume seems constant (actually, it, too, was modified). The 18 stories range from the Man of Steel's first appearance in Action Comics No. 1 to the first full-length recounting of his origin on the doomed planet Krypton (which occupied a mere two panels in his Action debut). Other milestones here include Superman's archfoe Lex Luthor's first bow and an early appearance by Mr. Mxyztplk, the mischievous imp from an extradimensional world. The earliest pieces, by Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, possess a rough vitality, as the then less-powerful hero--he could only leap vast distances, not fly, and his strength was relatively limited--confronted real-world mobsters and arms dealers. By decade's end, Superman's exploits more closely resembled those of today, which may be more sophisticated stories but lack much of the character's original, appealing innocence. These -sometimes-hokey tales remain naively charming. Gordon Flagg
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L