superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two New Superman classic comic collections  (Read 5918 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: April 03, 2004, 06:24:33 PM »

This summer DC Comics releases an array of new collected editions starring the World's Greatest Super-Heroes.

http://dccomics.com/news/article_display.html?nw_dc_itemCode=newcollected04

CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS Vol. 3 TPB
A 192-page trade paperback collecting JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #91-92, #100-102, #107-108 and #113
Written by Mike Friedrich and Len Wein with art by Dick Dillin, Joe Giella, Dick Giordano, Neal Adams and Nick Cardy and an introduction by Wein
Scheduled to arrive in stores in July with a cover price of $14.95 U.S.

SUPERMAN: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD Vol.2 TPB
A 192-page trade paperback collecting stories from SUPERMAN #1, 65, 156, 247, and 400 (first series), Look Magazine, MAN OF STEEL #1, SUPERMAN #18 (second series), and ACTION COMICS #775
Written by Jerry Siegel, William Woolfolk, Edmond Hamilton, Elliot S. Maggin, Jim Steranko, John Byrne and Joe Kelly; art by Joe Shuster, Al Plastino, Curt Swan, George Klein, Murphy Anderson, Steranko, Byrne, Dick Giordano, Mike Mignola, Karl Kesel, Doug Mahnke, Lee Bermejo, Tim Bradstreet and others
Scheduled to arrive in stores in August with a cover price of $19.95 U.S.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 10:38:24 PM »

The indications seem to be that--FINALLY--the good ol' stories are HOT sellers again.

In such a climate not to have a collected Sand Superman would defy all common sense.

India Ink
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 11:19:48 PM »

India Ink, who knows what's in the pipeline.

The fact that DC is reprinting Superman 400 is proof positive that absolutely anything is possible.  This looks to be a fantastic collection and I, for one, am very much looking forward to it.

Thank you DC!

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 01:36:47 AM »

What was 400?  Geeze, I looked up some of these and I already have most of them...

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 02:01:56 AM »

Quote from: "Brainiac44"
What was 400?

Read all about it here :

http://superman.nu/a/400/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 03:55:04 AM »

Great Krypton!

Can it be true?  The first "Greatest Stories" volume in over a decade? Dare we hope this line is due for resurrection?  SuperMonkey, if you'd written this post 48 hours ago, I'd have accused you of the cruelest April Fool's joke ever.

As it is, you've made my day.  Or rather, you will if you front me the cash for these books. :-)

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 04:01:14 PM »

For those who may have missed it, it's out.  I just got my copy. Here's the cover, by Alex Ross. ('natch)

It doesn't contain all of Superman 400, just the Steranko story (Exile at the Edge of Eternity).  Seen in this context in the collection, Steranko's epic tale makes a perfect conclusion to the Gold/Silver/Bronze-age (ie, "pre-Crisis") Superman.  Here's the complete rundown of the book's contents.

A great illustrated introduction by Michael Uslan
The Origin of Superman and his Powers (Superman 1, 1939)
Scientific Explanation of Superman's Amazing Strength
What if Superman Ended the War? (Look Magazone, 1940) (I don't know who named this story, but I never thought the "What if" part was intended by Siegel)
Three Supermen from Krypton (Superman 65, 1950) (great fun, historically important, and the only one here I'd never read before!)
The Last Days of Superman (Superman 156, 1962)
The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman (Superman 164, 1963)
Must There be a Superman? (Superman 247, 1972)
The Exile at the Edge of Eternity (Superman 400, 1984)
Pinup by Moebius (Superman 400)
The Man of Steel (MoS #1, 1986)
Return to Krypton (Superman 18, 1988)
What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the America Way? (Action 775, 2001)

All in all, a pretty good collection.

About the title:  this book is called "Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told," whereas the earlier version was called, "The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told" so this isn't really a volume 2, it's a re-do.

It's great to see contemporary quality coloring on the Steranko story and the Moebius pinup.

The books seems to be for sale at Amazon.  At least, a book with this ISBN and title is listed, but Amazon lists it with the wrong cover and non-applicable reviews.  Looks like something on their end still needs to be fixed.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 06:42:21 AM »

Anyone think that they will build the "new" Superman to Pre-Crisis levels of strength?

MK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L