superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about the Supermobile...  (Read 27293 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2004, 01:36:06 PM »

Why did Abin Sur have a spaceship again? Can someone remind me, please?

Cause he was an alien, man!  :wink:

No, I think in one of the GLC annuals, Alan Moore established that Abin Sur's ring told him he'd die on a mission, so to cover his bases, he created the ship as extra protection.  But in the end, somehow, the very fact that he was in the ship was what led to his death.  One of those Twilight Zone twists, you know.

Wish I could remember the details.  I'll see if I can dig out that issue, if no one else remembers it.

For the record, those annuals were great! Especially the Alan Moore stuff...he came up with the coolest ideas.  Like the story about the GL from a race of creatures who were all blind (and thus unable to comprehend the concept of "green" or "lantern"!).  He ended up using the ring as a sound-based weapon and became something like the "Green Bell."  Fun stuff!

This looks like a job for...
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2004, 01:55:13 PM »

Aldous, that was a good question.

Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2004, 02:24:59 PM »

As I recall, Julie Schwartz was regularly asked this question in the early GL letter columns, so he and Gardner Fox tried to resolve this in the story titled "Earth's First Green Lantern" [GL #16, Oct. 1962], wherein Hal had the power ring relate to him the last days of his predecessor.

A synopsis of this story can be found here at Mike's DC site:

http://dcindexes.com/indexes/glan/gl.htm?x=16
pocketmego
Superman Family

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2004, 08:05:30 PM »

Quote from: "Aldous"
Why did Abin Sur have a spaceship again? Can someone remind me, please?

In the mentioned Alan Moore story, a planet full of Cthulu like demon's told Abin that at a critical point, when he needed it most, the Ring would fail him.

Given reason to believe these creatures, he began to conserve the Ring's power to ridiculous levels. He started traveling by ship, instead of Ring, he recharged it constantly, and kept checking the power levels.

But, it was the ship's power systems that ended up failing and killing him.

We even get a scene of his ship plummeting towards Earth while the demons laugh at what they have brought about.

Great story.
-Ray

Changing the Course of Mighty Rivers Since 1938!
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2004, 07:39:32 AM »

You know, not everyone can just slip on the power ring and do what a Green Lantern does. You have to muster the will power, you have to be a very determined individual, you have to concentrate.

Let's say you were on a very long space flight. Wouldn't it be good to travel all that way while relaxing just a little more than usual? You could arrive refreshed and ready to start your mission. You wouldn't have to spend long hours concentrating on superfast space travel if you operated a personal space ship.

Although Hal never chose to travel via personal space ship, I would have been quite satisfied by this explanation for Abin Sur.

Why complicate things?
pocketmego
Superman Family

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2004, 11:52:27 PM »

The problem is, we never saw ANY other Green Lantern's travel by ship.

It would have been different if Hal was an isolated case, or if what you suggested was explained. But, since Abin is the only GL we ever saw in a  ship, it's an anomoly that never quite works without some kind of obtuse explanation.

-Ray

Quote from: "Aldous"
You know, not everyone can just slip on the power ring and do what a Green Lantern does. You have to muster the will power, you have to be a very determined individual, you have to concentrate.

Let's say you were on a very long space flight. Wouldn't it be good to travel all that way while relaxing just a little more than usual? You could arrive refreshed and ready to start your mission. You wouldn't have to spend long hours concentrating on superfast space travel if you operated a personal space ship.

Although Hal never chose to travel via personal space ship, I would have been quite satisfied by this explanation for Abin Sur.

Why complicate things?

Changing the Course of Mighty Rivers Since 1938!
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »

Bumped for Julian.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2005, 05:22:13 PM »

The story you've referenced was Tygers by Alan Moore in one of the GLC Quarterly issues.

The race was the Empire of Tears, and the demon was Qull of the Five Inversions and the planet was Ysmault.

Qull convinced Abin by giving him freely the answers to any three predictions Sur desired.  The first was telling Abin where the kid's spacecraft landing on Ysmault so he could rescue him: Done.  The second was predicting the end of the GLC which was a sick fantasy.  The third was predicting how Abin himself would die.

Given the accuracy of the first prediction, though ignoring the second diseased one, Abin reasoned it wouldn't hurt to be prudent enough to keep the ring constantly recharged and conserve its power via using spaceships.  The rest is as described earlier on this thread.

http://glcorps.dcuguide.com/profile.php?name=abinsur

It must be noted that GL power rings have the fabled autoprotect feature esp. while charged so GLs shouldn't have to consciously will themselves space-protection while travelling in space.

Moore's story satisfies me.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L