superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about the Supermobile...  (Read 27303 times)
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 02:06:13 PM »

Well, Superman does kinda look ridiculous in that vehicule but, the premise is that it shields him from kryptonite or that he uses it when he's incapacitated and needs to fly.

GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 02:16:26 PM »

I had the top one when I was a kid. It kind of sucked as a vehicle for Superman, but I used to fly my Star Wars figures around in it.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 11:02:18 PM »

That's pretty funny shazamtd, you should read them and report back here with all the details Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 04:39:31 AM »

Those two Amazo stories in Action are the only primary Supermobile stories that I'm aware of.  But the vehicle doubled as a dustbuster in a brief appearance in issues 324 & 325 of Superman--which I reviewed as part of "Pesky's Progress" on the old DCMB (scroll down half of the page to Part VII "That Green Eyed Monster")...

It so happens that Skull has obtained the highly advanced technology to transport Kryptonite through hyperspace from the Krypton-Two debris field (with such technology, one wonders why they're wasting time on these elaborate but petty criminal schemes). The green K has been loaded into the warhead of a large missile. Superman, in his efforts to free Jenet Klyburn from a trap set by The Atomic Skull and his agents, unwittingly aids them in launching their warhead into the ionosphere and the explosion, in 324, forms a "Van Allen Belt" of Kryptonite dust around the Earth. Superman launches his own missile which spreads a fine dust of lead particles to counteract the K dust. But this lead cloud in the upper atmosphere is not entirely effective, and at the end of 324 we see Superman hoovering the ionosphere with his "Supermobile" which doubles as a cosmic dust-buster.

The in medias res opening for 325, "The Super Sellout of Metropolis," has Superman announcing for the media and his fans that he's signed an exclusive contract with the United Broadcasting Company. A disgusted Perry White bellows, "It's against Superman's code to merchandise himself that way--he's supposed to be above that sort of thing!" I wonder, however, if Marty wasn't being a bit coy in this tale. Afterall, at the end of the last issue and in this issue on the next page after Perry's comment, Superman is shown piloting the "Supermobile." The Supermobile! (registered trademark) which was injected into continuity by editorial edict to tie-in with merchandising of such a toy (unlike Batman, there just wasn't enough Superman gadgets to be licensed to toy companies). Superman signing a contract with a media corporation? well, what about National signing a deal with Warner Communications? Pasko must have been in the thick of Superman merchandising at the time, with the movie, comic strip and all--Superman was supposed to be above that sort of thing? ha!

Seeing those toys pictured by Super Monkey made me think of a certain "Seinfeld" episode where Jerry tries to put his new girlfriend to sleep (plying her with wine in a box and roasted turkey) so  he can play with her collectable action figures and toys while she's sleeping.

If I could just find someone with the authentic G.I. Joe, Captain Action, and Major Matt Mason, I might just try the same trick.

India Ink
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 12:10:26 PM »

The supermobile also appears in one of the Superfriends stories.  I'd have to look it up at home though to find the issue number.

shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 12:31:12 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
That's pretty funny shazamtd, you should read them and report back here with all the details Wink

I'd have to dig them out first and that would be a chore.  Sorry.   :roll:

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 01:50:43 PM »

If you got the first Supergirl friends TPB, that story should been their.

In the story, the Wonder Twins was going to visting Aquman's home
city from Altantis, when it's stolen by aliens. Superman attempts to stop it--but that aliens attack him with red sun energy. [Superman is powerless
under a red sun.] While the rest of Superfriends discover that aliens
are from a water-world and imprison by alien's freeze-way. Just after
getting their butt freeze, Superman shows up in the Supermoblie. The
alien know him from his space adventures--not from his Earth adventures.
He attack them--but doesn't smashing the ship for fear of hurting his
friends--unware that Aquman had Zanya (who had transformed himself
into a cold water) free him and the other Superfriends. Aquaman attacks
the water--who explains that they stolen Altantis to study it--since they
are water-based form. The city is returned--the alien take their exit--and a belated tours begins.

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 01:59:14 PM »

Yup - that's the one!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L