superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Superboy Story  (Read 17813 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 06:24:43 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

"Superman: the Secret Years": Rozakis' 1985 miniseries telling (his version of) how Superboy became Superman (and willingly ignoring the "professor and his lie detector"/"social worker" versions).

Can you tell me something about this story, please?
I know two different versions of this event...
1) An university professor wants to know if Clark is really Superboy, so he use a machine to find out the truth. Clark says that he is not Superboy and the machine detects that he is telling the truth, because now he is Superman!
2) Into an early '70s issue there is a story which features Superboy's early days at Metropolis University. He use his powers to "play" with his friends, and a woman says to him that he must be a man, not a boy. When she dies, he for respect change his name in Superboy.

Those are the first two versions, yep...

"The Secret Years" was a four-issue 1985 miniseries written by Bob Rozakis, and tells of Superboy's junior year in college, covering his college roommates (the same guys from the other 80's "In-Between Years" flashbacks), dating Lori Lemaris, a new friend Clark's made, and of Luthor's latest scheme. Events stemming from what befalls Clark's roommates, his battle with Luthor, and several other events leads Clark to finally decide to change his name to "Superman" out of maturity/no longer feeling like a boy (which, since he's mentioned as being 21 in this miniseries, I'd hope wasn't the case! :-) ).

I never got to read the early 70's "social worker" story, but did read the professor/lie detector one. Rozakis, in the first issue, mentions/summarizes the previous stories telling of Clark's college-age adventures, and mentions how his series ignores the "lie detector" and "social worker" versions (there's a picture of a few panels from each of those issues shown) of how he changed his name.

Since it came so late in the game, though (there's house ads for "Crisis" in the book), not surprised not many fans seem to remember this series (even despite the Frank Miller covers on all of the issues), vs. the "lie detector" bit (which, as Rozakis noted, felt a bit too much like just another "secret identity-dodging" tale to me for such an important event...though I do think Rozakis could've still fit it into the miniseries somehow...).

Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 03:13:43 PM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

Those are the first two versions, yep...

"The Secret Years" was a four-issue 1985 miniseries written by Bob Rozakis, and tells of Superboy's junior year in college, covering his college roommates (the same guys from the other 80's "In-Between Years" flashbacks), dating Lori Lemaris, a new friend Clark's made, and of Luthor's latest scheme. Events stemming from what befalls Clark's roommates, his battle with Luthor, and several other events leads Clark to finally decide to change his name to "Superman" out of maturity/no longer feeling like a boy (which, since he's mentioned as being 21 in this miniseries, I'd hope wasn't the case! :-) ).

I never got to read the early 70's "social worker" story, but did read the professor/lie detector one. Rozakis, in the first issue, mentions/summarizes the previous stories telling of Clark's college-age adventures, and mentions how his series ignores the "lie detector" and "social worker" versions (there's a picture of a few panels from each of those issues shown) of how he changed his name.

Since it came so late in the game, though (there's house ads for "Crisis" in the book), not surprised not many fans seem to remember this series (even despite the Frank Miller covers on all of the issues), vs. the "lie detector" bit (which, as Rozakis noted, felt a bit too much like just another "secret identity-dodging" tale to me for such an important event...though I do think Rozakis could've still fit it into the miniseries somehow...).

Someday, I'll buy this miniseries. In Italy it wasn't published...
I knew that it exists, but I missed a lot of details... Thank you for the explanations!

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Doug Vickery
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 07:26:45 PM »

Pre-Crisis Favorites: "Superboy's Darkest Secret" and any adventures with Pete Ross, including the one where Pete got the powers.

Post-Crisis:  I don't have ANY favorites.  I MISS Superboy terribly
and have nothing but CONTEMPT for DC for what they did.  The
clone Superboy is an insult and an obscenity to the memory of the
original.[/u]

Doug Vickery
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 12:58:40 AM »

Quote from: "Doug Vickery"
Pre-Crisis Favorites: "Superboy's Darkest Secret" and any adventures with Pete Ross, including the one where Pete got the powers.

Post-Crisis:  I don't have ANY favorites.  I MISS Superboy terribly
and have nothing but CONTEMPT for DC for what they did.  The
clone Superboy is an insult and an obscenity to the memory of the
original.

Welcome to the boards   Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 01:36:22 AM »

Some great first posts this week!  Welcome all!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Kal-L
Supermen of America

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 02:47:31 PM »

Claire Kent, Alias Super-Sister! ( http://www.tgfa.org/comics/superman/superman.htm ) Very funny!

Up, up, up and away!
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 02:46:37 AM »

"The Game of Kriss-Kross Krypton" first published in this issue...I read it as a backstory in the issue where the Time Trapper uses Glorith to transfer the Legion into babies...

It was goofy, and had Superboy enacting mysteriously some of the moves from a board game he was playing with Lana...I admit, I loved a different era, I liked his interaction with an attractive girl playing a game and being a hero as well...

Sigh...THOSE days are gone... Cool

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L