superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Superboy Story  (Read 17797 times)
IpComics
Superman Fan

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 01:49:06 PM »

Hi

Quote from: "TriSaber"
In terms of the Post-Crisis Superboy,

Is there such a thing as a post-Crisis Superboy?

IpComics
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 02:20:25 PM »

Quote from: "IpComics"
Is there such a thing as a post-Crisis Superboy?

Yes and no, it can be a bit confusing.

Post-Crisis, Clark Kent/Kal-El did not adopt the "Super" name and costume until he was an adult.  So in that sense, there is no such thing as a post-Crisis Superboy.  However, as a teenager, he did go around as a Super powered behind-the-scenes helper, so he was "kind of" a Superboy, just no name or costume.  As far as I know, there have been very few tales of this era, perhaps just Birthright which only covers the later pre-Superman years.

However, there is another post-Crisis character who uses the Superboy name.  He was introduced back in the 1990s as an adolescent boy with Superpowers who was believed to be a clone of Superman and who was created by the Project (post-Crisis, now called the "Cadmus Project.")  It was later revealed that he wasn't a clone of Superman, but of some other person (or people?) and who had powers introduced into his DNA by the Project when he was created.  I'm really not sure of the details as I didn't follow it closely.  So in that sense, yes there is a post-Crisis Superboy.

My favorite post-Crisis "Superboy" tales are:

1) The issue(s) where the post-Crisis Superboy meets the pre-Crisis Superboy:

(That was early on in his original title if I recall correctly.  Can't remember if it was a lead-in to Zero Hour, or to Hypertension.  Actually, didn't he appear twice?  Maybe for both of these serieses.)

2) The Jeph Loeb issue that was  basically a big conversation between the post-Crisis Superboy and Superman:

Then, to add to the confusion, there was also a comic book tie-in series with the Superboy TV show.  This had to take place outside the newly established post-Crisis DCU, since in the new DCU, there never was a Clark-as-Superboy.  Some of these issues are pretty good, with creators who had been thrown off the Superman titles for being "obselete" but were shuffled off to this obscure tie-in title with the low readership.  People like Cary Bates and Curt Swan.  My favorite issue of this series is The Last Superboy because it ties in the superboy TV show continuity with the post-Crisis Byrne continuity, saying that there may not have been a Clark-as-Superboy in the DCU, but there was one in Clark's imagination.  So although the new DCU never had a Superboy, at least Superman himself fondly remembers those "Superboy" stories of his youth along with the rest of us.

There was also the Pocket Universe Superboy - but I'd better stop now, I think I feel another Crisis coming on.

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Was Hypertension ever released as a TPB if not why not?!?

Quote from: "Defender"
Sadly it hasn't been released. Not much of an overall demand for Superboy trades,..

That's because the stories aren't about Superman when he was a boy.  If they were, there'd be a lot of interest!  It's time to bring back the young Clark/Kal as Superboy.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 06:24:28 AM »

For sentimental reasons, my fave pre-Crisis Superboy story is "Father's Day on Planet Krypton" which I first read in a coverless Giant Superman #232, 1971.  This story has some of favorite Superboy/Superman story ingrdients including nostalgia, Krypton ephemera, and giant statues!

I wonder, is it in the database?

Fave post-crisis?  Suberboy One Million!  OMAC, the One-Millionth-Actual-Clone of Superboy!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 07:14:32 AM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"

1) The issue(s) where the post-Crisis Superboy meets the pre-Crisis Superboy:

(That was early on in his original title if I recall correctly.  Can't remember if it was a lead-in to Zero Hour, or to Hypertension.  Actually, didn't he appear twice?  Maybe for both of these serieses.)

2) The Jeph Loeb issue that was  basically a big conversation between the post-Crisis Superboy and Superman:

Great issues! SUPERMAN 155 is one of my favourite post-Crisis stories.

My favourite pre-Crisis Superboy story is the origin of Bizarro.
I like a story realeased in 1972, too, which features Superboy in jail. He asks himself if he can help the prisoners to live better.

This is the cover:

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 04:10:29 PM »

The "Zero Hour"-tie-in "Kal-El meets Kon-El Superboy" story was in "Superboy" (recent series) #8. One of my favorite Superboy stories as well, despite utterly loathing "Zero Hour"...

Kal-El Superboy (the same alternate-timeline-displaced one from the issue above) showed up again later in the 90's Superboy run, when Kon-El visited his pre-Crisis-Smallville world via Hypertime (we also get to see pre-Crisis-style Ma and Pa Kent and Krypto show up). The two Superboys remember their last meeting and exchange notes on identities (with Ma hoping Kon won't tell anyone about learning Kal-El Superboy was Clark Kent). The two SBs then team up against the story's villain...

Pre-Crisis, favorite Superboy stories include:

"Superboy Meets Superboy---Almost!"/"Superboy's Mystery Mission": From the early 80's comics run, it was Bob Rozakis' update on "Superman's Mission For President Kennedy"; here, a 10-year-old Superboy meets JFK.

"New Adventures of Superboy" #50: Superboy heads off to college, meets his roommates, and stops a gang war between gangs from Metropolis and Gotham City. Amusing spot: Vegas taking bets on which city Superboy was planning to move to (Metropolis and Gotham City were dead-even oddswise :-) ).

The origin of Lex Luthor.

The death of Ma and Pa Kent.

The first appearance of Krypto.

"Superboy's Last Day In Smallville".

"Superman: the Secret Years": Rozakis' 1985 miniseries telling (his version of) how Superboy became Superman (and willingly ignoring the "professor and his lie detector"/"social worker" versions).

Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 05:03:04 PM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

"Superman: the Secret Years": Rozakis' 1985 miniseries telling (his version of) how Superboy became Superman (and willingly ignoring the "professor and his lie detector"/"social worker" versions).

Can you tell me something about this story, please?
I know two different versions of this event...
1) An university professor wants to know if Clark is really Superboy, so he use a machine to find out the truth. Clark says that he is not Superboy and the machine detects that he is telling the truth, because now he is Superman!
2) Into an early '70s issue there is a story which features Superboy's early days at Metropolis University. He use his powers to "play" with his friends, and a woman says to him that he must be a man, not a boy. When she dies, he for respect change his name in Superboy.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 03:35:15 AM »

My Favorite Superboy story is The Legion of Super-Traitors!

That story has it all: the 1st ever Legion of Super-Pets story, 1st ever Comet the Superhorse, Supergirl, Legion of Superheroes, Superboy Robots, Phantom Zone Villians and of course evil flying alien brains of death!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 03:19:04 PM »

I love Superman: The Secret Years. But I've always enjoyed Superboy stories. Basically, it tells of his first meeting with Lori Lemaris, a college roommate that he had from Smallville who found out his secret identity, and some other good stuff. I think the miniseries was 4 issues.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L