superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:34:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Superboy Story  (Read 17821 times)
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« on: March 01, 2003, 01:11:17 AM »

Easily the Two part Elsewhere Annual story from a few years ago.  Sorry forgot the issue numbers

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Ric-El
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 03:38:49 AM »

any story where he's shirtless Wink

stephens666
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 04:36:13 AM »

My favorite is Hypertension.Because we get to see what SB might look like grown-up,and get to see powers we didnt know he had.
I also like the Sins of Youth story for the same reason.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 03:37:27 AM »

Was Hypertension ever released as a TPB if not why not?!?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 05:29:04 PM »

Sadly it hasn't been released. Not much of an overall demand for Superboy trades, though with the current peak of interest Teen Titans is generating, who knows?

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
TriSaber
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 01:29:32 PM »

In terms of the Post-Crisis Superboy, I'd have to say the whole Hypertension story arc was my favorite.

Saving the world ... one pixel at a time.
Proud member of StrikeForce Superman.
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 06:50:57 PM »

It's odd, but I can't really remember a lot of pre-Crisis Superboy stories. I remember reading a couple, I just can't remember specific titles. There was one where Clark ran away to the Old West. . .and another creepy one where he was gradually turning into a robot until his skin turned blue. That was pretty cool.

Say what you will of the Byrne epoch, I did like Legion #37, featuring the final tale of the pre-Crisis Superboy. Time Trapper plots and confusion abounded, but it was still a decent story.

As for the post-Crisis era, I can't say to have followed the Superboy title with any regularity, so a particular story doesn't come to mind. I peeked in on Hypertension, but only on the titles that featured the Kal-El Superboy. Of course, with his appearances in titles like Titans and the Legion, my interest in the Kid as a character more than a placeholder for a copyright grows little by little. Lets hope they can keep bringing the heat in those books.

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Arcee01
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 03:02:15 AM »

Pre -Crisis :

IMHO the best Superboy story was "Don't Call me Superboy"

Here's some info, if you can find a copy you won't regret it.

DC Super-Stars No. 12
February 1977
Cover: Superboy vs. a “Bigfoot” with a spacecraft in the background //Curt Swan / Murphy Anderson (signed)
Story: “Don’t Call Me Superboy” (21 pages)
Editor: Paul Levitz
Writer: Cary Bates
Penciller: Curt Swan
Inker: Murphy Anderson
Colorist: Carl Gafford
Guest Starring : The robot teacher from Krypton (last appearance in ADVENTURE COMICS #240)
Intro: Misty, three Bigfeet, J. J. Farnum (only appearance for all)
Synopsis: Jor-El’s robot teacher returns to Smallville to test Superboy four more times, now that he is “on the edge of manhood”.

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert: if you're already curious and want to read the story stop here, if you don't mind knowing the end read on ...

Spoiler Alert

Unknown to him, the teacher has selected a girl named Misty and given her through hypnosis all the personality traits Superboy is attracted to, so that Clark Kent would fall in love with her.  Superboy passes all the tests, including the hardest one--sparing a Bigfoot creature’s life, when he thinks the creature has killed Misty.  The teacher reveals that Misty is still unharmed, and removes her memories of her sojourn in Smallville before returning her to her home town and departing himself.  When the robot teacher says that his pupil is worthy of being called Superboy, the hero snaps, “Don’t call me Superboy!  After what I’ve been through--I deserve to be called a man!”
 Years later, as an adult, Clark Kent is passing over Smallville in a plane, and sees that his stewardess is a grown-up Misty.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L