superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:34:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to Krypto the Super Dog?  (Read 10148 times)
the heretic
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: April 19, 2004, 08:32:19 PM »

I'm a guy who grew up reading dc comics during the so called golden age but I cant remeber what happened to Krypto? Can anybody help me out please
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 08:56:29 PM »

There was no Krypto in the ga...

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 11:55:13 PM »

You grew up reading Superman in the 40's?

The Superdog made his 1st appearance in May 1955.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klark
Superman's Pal

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 11:23:55 AM »

Krypto the Superdog was done away with during the Crisis on Infinite Earths. He died of Kryptonite poisoning, leaving Superman alone and if I remember correctly, weeping. Then it all ended and we had the Post Crisis continuity. Like I said in a previous post of mine in this forum, I believe the only version of Krypto resides with Bibbo in Suicide Slum, as a regular dog.

Where can I find a "THUNDERCAT HO?!"
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 02:09:01 PM »

Klark, do you still read the Superman titles? Krypto the superdog from Krypton has returned, although we don't see him that much anymore.

You should come out of that prairie hole more often.  :wink:

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 05:02:54 PM »

The Silver Age Krypto was one of the "excess baggage" was was to be discarded in the 1986 Byrne reboot.  In order to empathize Superman's uniqueness as the "Sole Survivor of Krtypton", an extermination campaign was waged.  Supergirl was slain during the Crisis, while the Earth-2 Kal-L and Lois Kent (plus Superboy-Prime) were transported by Alexander Luthor to a "Paradise Dimension".

The final issue of DC Comics Presents also saw pieces of Argo City smashing all around Metropolis, returning deadly green Kryptonite to the world (very similar to what recently happened in the first Superman/Batman arc).  Also, the Phantom Zone prisoners and Mr. Mxyztplk were eliminated, "clearing the decks" for a fresh re-introduction of Superman in "The Man of Steel".

There was one final "farewell" to the Earth-1 Superman, and that was the "Imaginary Story" by "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"  In this massacre, we see the deaths of Bizarro, Lana Lang, Jimmy Olsen, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Mr. Mxyztplk, and Krypto, who heroically tried to defend the Fortress of Solitude.  Immediately afterwards, Byrne's rewriting of Superman's past eliminated his Superboy career (causing untold headaches for the Legion of Super-Heroes), Kryptonians in Kandor, Supergirl Kara Zor-El... and Krypto.  All those adventures with the Boy of Steel "never happened".

Beppo did have a pup named Krypto, but the current "Dog of Steel" arrived in a curious way.  (Though admittedly it wasn't quite as mind-bending as how Byrne was forced to reintroduce a new
"Superboy " and "Supergirl" by having the Time Trapper create a "Pocket Universe".)  In a "Return to Krypton" storyline, Superman and Lois travelled into the Phantom Zone and find a Krypton, complete with Jor-El, Lana and Krypto!  It's actually a computerized simulation created by Brianiac to snare Superman forever, but he managed to escape, with Krypto loyally following behind.

Krypto has since been guarding his master's Fortress of Solitude.  However, Superboy Kon-El (aka Conner Kent) is now taking care of Krypto at the Kents.  Krypto was seen recently in the Teen Titans and Superman/Batman.

DTO
Klark
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 08:54:23 PM »

So this version of Krypto is basically a simulation, not the real thing, right?

Where can I find a "THUNDERCAT HO?!"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 09:34:50 PM »

Quote from: "Klark"
So this version of Krypto is basically a simulation, not the real thing, right?

I will quote from the http://www.supermanhomepage.com

Bibbo Bibboski saved this lone puppy from a litter discarded by a woman on the docks of Metropolis. Since the young pup was the only survivor of his litter, Bibbo decided to name the puppy Krypton. Bibbo ordered a nametag for Krypton only to find that the proprietor only allowed six letters per tag. K-R-Y-P-T-O Disgusted by the man's attempts to swindle further money from his pocket, he took the tag as it was and decided on the name Krypto.
Recently on Superman's return to Krypton through the mysterious Phantom Zone, we learn that Krypto was a dog that belonged to the House of El. Superman recalled the animals name as 'Krypto'. On their return from Krypton through the Phantom Zone, Krypto returned with them. Under the yellow sun this dog has powers and abilities far beyond those of an ordinary K-9.

Contained within Lois and Clark's apartment, Krypto soon became restless, tearing up the place. So Superman took Krypto out for a fly. During their outing two meta-human criminals escape prison with the help of their crooked Attorney... but with Krypto's help, Superman captures them (MOS #112).

However on his next adventure Krypto was a little too successful, almost killing Mongul in a tussle between Mongul, his sister Mongal and Superman. So Superman confines Krypto to the Fortress of Solitude where he designates one of his Superman Robots to take care of the Superdog (SUP #170).

First Appearance (as Bibbo's dog): AOS #501 (Late June 1993)
First Appearance (as Kryptonian Dog): SUP #167 (April 2001)

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L