superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What other Comics...  (Read 12178 times)
Tiberious
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 07:27:32 AM »

I collect
Hard Time (DC Focus)
Kinetic (DC Focus)
Wonder Woman
Supreme Power
and
Street Fighter
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 01:01:13 AM »

I buy comics to read, not collect.

Solo

I'll probably buy the new Supergirl comic, when it comes out.

Green Lantern: Rebirth curently and probably the fist arc of the new Green Lantern comic.

As to Superman, I'm getting the collections.  60's, 70's, 80's.  The Silver Age archives.

But, I'm finding more entertainment in titles such as Go Girl! of Dark Horse and Flare of Heroic Publishing.
Mizrael
Supermen of America

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 01:59:30 AM »

The only comic I went after as far as collections go came out long after I quit collecting from DC or Marvel and it was the "Lost In Space" series that was based on the old 60's TV show.  :roll:
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 03:35:21 AM »

I collected comics heavily in college, but since then (the late 90's), I guess I've drifted away from buying them (too annoyed with stuff like endless crossovers, the current "Batgod"/jerk qualities of Batman, buying other stuff, a lack of $$$, etc.).

These days, I seem to be mostly buying 70's and 80's back issues of stuff like New Adventures of Superboy, All-Star Squadron, and Superman.

Also taken to buying trade paperback compilations---"Crisis On Multiple Earths" , "Superman in the 70's"---along with various comic strip compilations, though from what I've seen (via lurking before registering with here a few days ago) there might not be much of an audience on here for what I like to read, since among my comic strip compilations include "This Modern World" (left-leaning alternative newspaper comic strip), "Doonesbury" and "Chelsea Boys" (a gay-oriented comic strip); also enjoy reading "FoxTrot", "Dilbert", "Sally Forth," "Pearls Before Swine," "Get Fuzzy", "Funky Winkerbean," and "Dykes to Watch Out For" (strip about the lives of various middle-aged lesbian women, with some amount of political humor thrown in).

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 01:53:41 PM »

Well, we're not all "right wing nut jobs".  Just me and a couple others.  Cheesy

If I'm not a big fan of some of those strips, it's not so much because of their political leanings but because they're political at all.  I don't think it's possible to be preachy and funny at the same time (which is why M*A*S*H went in the toilet so early and stayed there).

But wait a minute, is "This Modern World" the one by Tom Tomorrow? 'Cause if nothing else at least the art is cool on that one.  I used to dig "Funky Winkerbean" back when the cast was in high school and it was more humor-oriented than the "Gasoline Alley"-type slice of life stuff Batiuk's doing now (he's a nice guy, though...met him at Mid-Ohio Con a couple of times).  "Sally Forth" I don't get at all...on that strip's best day ever you might get a mild chuckle. Makes "Family Circus" look like a laugh riot.

In general the decline of newspaper comics has been even more dramatic and complete than that of comic books.  I haven't seen a really strong strip since "Calvin."  But I do love the old stuff: "Krazy Kat," "Polly And Her Pals" and "Pogo" (hey, that got pretty left-leaning!).  Plus the adventure strips that, after all, spawned comic books in the first place: "Wash Tubbs and Captain Easy", "Dick Tracy", "Tarzan", "Terry and the Pirates" and "The Phantom."  And in the event of fire, I'd probably leave behind my "Superman Archives" and save my complete Kitchen Sink collection of Alex Raymond "Flash Gordon" hardbacks!

This looks like a job for...
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 02:18:19 PM »

As far as daily newspaper strips go, "Mutts" is extrememly well done and very funny.  I find it reminiscent of Krazy Kat and Peanuts.

I may be a nut job, but I'm not a right-wing one.  More left-wing with some libertarian tendencies.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 03:04:05 PM »

Im with Niight wing on the Flash Gordons by Alex Raymond altho I only have the lone Nostalgia Press volume in glorious black nd white.

I enjoy reading Mutts when I happen to pick up a paper which is rare but some of the other juist leave me cold.

And yes, Calvin and Hobbes are sorely missed in their brilliance.

I like my comics to be just that - comics and not op-ed editorials.  If I want politics, I'll read the US News & World report or some such political tracts.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 05:34:08 PM »

Though I didn't use the phrase "right/left wing nut job," my political leanings are, well, pretty leftist (don't expect to see me chaining myself to trees or anything anytime soon, though ;-) ). And as long as I'm listing "groups I'm a part of", I'm also African-American and gay, which probably influences some of my outlooks on such matters...

I do think that political humor (of whatever stripe) can be done in comics---it's quite a versatile medium. Whether it's done well, or one agrees with the viewpoint expressed might be another matter (I don't agree with "Mallard Fillmore" or "Prickly City"'s conservative perspectives, but of the two, the latter's much better done than the former...). The fact that I drew political cartoons (however badly done) in college might influence my feelings on this matter, though. ;-)

Social commentary, or a serious analysis of matters, in comics can also be done---see comics such as "Maus" (which I haven't read, I admit), along with probably a few independent publications out there...

Yep, "This Modern World"'s done by Tom Tomorrow.

Granted, the comics page is littered with stuff like "Garfield" or "Hi and Lois", but I do like a lot of the better done newer strips out there, along with old ones (particularly "Peanuts", "Calvin and Hobbes," "Bloom County" and "The Far Side").

All the above said, though, comic books for me usually = reading about, well, Superman. :-)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L