superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's Little Sis!  (Read 3634 times)
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: May 30, 2004, 11:29:16 AM »

Hi guys, I'm a newcomer to the Supes comics the last few months, and in looking over some Silver Age tales, I gotta admit I'm really enjoying some of the appearances of Supergirl. I feel there's a great big brother/little sister dynamic between Kal and Kara (yeah, I know they're cousins!), and I feel this is one of the strengths of Kara's character - and it's definitely something I hope comes back after the current Superman\Batman arc. Comments? Smiley

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 05:27:08 PM »

The Silver Age Kara Zor-El early years were a delight.  Especially when she was still Superman's "Secret Weapon" Kara had to be very inventive -- trying to assist her cousin and do good deeds while remaining undetected!  Her sparkling personality also made her one of Superman's best supporting characters -- her optimism and steadfast belief in Good was one of the things most sorely missed with her passing.  I always thought that her death in the Crisis truly marked the End of Innocence in DC.

The new Kara won't be a return to the past -- we still don't know much about her (or even if she's really who she says she is!), but her personality has more of an "edge".  Perhaps that's a reflection of modern times and possibly more realistic.  (She's just recently lost her family and homeworld -- that should cause some post-traumatic stress and anger issues.  In contrast, the Silver-Age Kara was all smiles and overly-eager to dive into her role as Supergirl when she arrived -- unless she was deliberatively immersing herself headlong into her new surroundings to crowd out her tragic memories, this doesn't seem normal behavior for a disaster survivor.)

Also, will the new Kara accept the role of "younger cousin" and blindly accept Superman's lead?  Most likely not!  She's a contemporary young woman who's already showing her independence, and she was originally Kal-El's OLDER cousin.  I think we're going to see a personality more akin to the assertive Kara Zor-L Power Girl than the first Kara Zor-El Supergirl.

We shall see...

DTO
Megatron
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 01:53:02 AM »

To me there is sort of 'innocence' quality i like about the older books. Some of the stuff out there today freaks me out a bit lol
darkmark90
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 01:31:52 AM »

Megatron, I think you've got it...to me, Kara was the NICEST superheroine around, and that's why I still love her.

I'm a BIG writer of fanfic, much of it about Supergirl but covering lots of characters in lots of comic universes.  Check the stories out at http://Dark_Mark.tripod.com/darkmark1.htm and at http://darkmark90.tripod.com/darkmark2.html .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L