superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:47:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman The Movie - Personal memories and experiences  (Read 5603 times)
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« on: March 01, 2003, 07:12:44 PM »

I think we can all agree that Superman The Movie is a great movie, a true classic and perhaps the best movie ever based on a comic book series.  

The purpose of this thread is to recall and any personal memories and experiences you had before, during or after the movie.

I have two memories which stand out about the movie - the first is the classic commerical and posters which made a very simple statement - YOU will believe a man can fly.  I loved that simple statement and I think that more than anything else got me really excited about seeing that movie.  Back when it first came out there were only one or two movie theaters for around fifty miles where I lived so unless it was a expected hit movie (Godfather II for example) we never really knew what would be playing until a few days ahead being in a very, very small market.  However when the newspaper came out with the simple words Starting Friday YOu will believe a man can fly I was in heaven - heck I was the one flying high.

The second memory is sitting watching the movie with a friend watching the opening sequence - the comic book about the great Metropolian Newspaper I had goose bumps and was as nervous as the day I got married - perhaps even more so (don't let my wife know).

Personal note another Superman moment for me was my marriage - my now wife wanted a simple marriage at City Hall so her mother, brother and my soon to be step daughter were all there with me in the clerks office where the simple vows were exchanged and yes I was nervous but looking off to the left I started to feel at ease, and knew things were going to be fine and that my marriage was off to a great start - hanging on the wall was a framed S symbol.  So I knew my marriage was off to a Super start. Cheesy

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 03:47:05 PM »

I don't remember the first time I saw Superman the Movie.  I was only four years old when it was first released.  I know I had to have seen it on cable the first time.  
I do remember the first time I saw the widescreen version on American Movie Classics a few years ago.  I couldn't believe how much of the picture got cut off in pan and scan!  It was as if I was seeing a completely different movie.  The flying shots looked much, much better!  
It was shortly after that when I found out that Superman the Movie was going to be released on dvd.  Not only would it be in widescreen but it would have added scenes!  I hadn't been so anxious since they released the complete John Williams score a year earlier.  
Both the dvd and the score are now two of my favorite pieces in my collection.   Cheesy  S!

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 04:55:47 AM »

I went opening day first show and saw it at the 2nd largest screen in NYC, Astor Plaza (the largest being Radio City, natch).  It was packed and with a line around the block and for the first 15 minutes we were sittting in the first coupla rows looking up at a monstrous screen.  Man, when Krypton blew ...it BLEW!

This was also the first date I had with someone I was to spend the next 17 years with and she was as thrilled by the film as was I.

I even remember them closing off 42nd Street to film the Daily Planet scenes outside the Daily News!
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 12:02:09 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T3547"
I went opening day first show and saw it at the 2nd largest screen in NYC, Astor Plaza (the largest being Radio City, natch).  

I even remember them closing off 42nd Street to film the Daily Planet scenes outside the Daily News!

Well I got to see it on the largest screen within 50 miles of where I lived but then again it was the only movie screen within  those 50 miles.    :lol:

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 01:05:24 AM »

Nothing like the BIG SCREEN no matter where you live! Cheesy
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 03:32:29 PM »

I saw the movie in theaters as a kid.  What people don't realize today is that at that time, this movie was alone.  There was not really any competition - you could say Star Wars but yet, these were two different things.  So, first, wow, what a movie.  Second, wow, they did it well even though there wasn't competition.  
The very-very first thing that came to thought at the end of the movie: it said "coming soon Superman II" - I told myself, I must not die before the sequel comes out!!!

Phro
Supermen of America

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 11:15:29 PM »

I first saw Superman on HBO whenever it was that it first premiered on there. I don't remember exactly when but it was somewhere between 1979-1980.

My fondest memory, that I still experience to this day, is watching the stellar opening credits and main theme. The crescendo of the Superman logo flying into the screen and the word 'SUPERMAN' following is a helluva high for me. Its funny for me to even admit that several months shy of 30.  :lol:

No other movie for me has been able to give a perfect balance of anticipation and music that invigorates you . Hell even when I jog, if I have my minidisc player with me, I listen to the movie's theme and its almost like adrenaline.

Another great memory, is the first time Clark Kent unbuttons his shirt, running across the street, and you see the big S, right before he saves Lois from the falling chopper. My favourite dialogue from the movie is in that scene with the pimp which is also in my signature.

"Say, Jim!!....Wooo!"
"Excuse Me..."
"That's a BAAD OUT-FIT!!.....Wooo!"
-proof that even Pimps recognize Superman's coolness
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L