superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:34:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marlon Brando, "Jor-El", dead at 80  (Read 5037 times)
comicfan
Superman's Pal

« on: July 02, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »

Just thought I'd let everyone else know that Marlon Brando passed away the other day.  

Though he's probably more famous for some of his other roles, I thought he was great as Jor-El.  Without him and his participation, I don't know if Hollywood would have taken the film very seriously.  Though he was pretty costly at the time (a record breaking salary for, what, 15 minutes of screen time?) I think he was well worth every penny.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 05:13:41 AM »

One of the greatest actors of all time.

RIP big guy  :cry:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
tgallagher
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 12:19:04 PM »

its a shame he couldnt play jorel again in a new film before he pasted away.

SUPERMAN V

http://www.freewebs.com/supermansupersite
Please Visit My website
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 03:48:44 PM »

tOO BAD THEY COULDNT EVEN AFFORD TO USE HIS STOCK FOOTAGE IN SUPES 2.

RIP MARLON.
DWolfman
Supermen of America

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 05:32:43 PM »

Some Brando/Superman Trivia:
  • Used cue cards in many of his movies because he refused to memorize his lines. His lines were written on the diaper of baby Kal-El in "Superman" (1978).
  • Received more money for his short appearance as Jor-El in "Superman" (1978) than Christopher Reeve did (received $4 million for his ten minutes on screen).
  • A scene in which Jor-El (Brando) explains to Superman why he must keep his secret identity was added for the Director's Cut.
  • Brando did not want to do this movie, and at one point suggested that Richard Donner film a 'green bagel' for which Brando would supply a voice-over. He said this was logical since "Nobody knows what Kryptonians look like anyways".
  • It was Marlon Brando's idea to have Jor-El wear the same "S" symbol on his clothes that Kal-El would later wear as Superman.
  • Brando hated the fact he had to wear a spit-curl and only did so after much insistence by director Richard Donner.
  • The costumes worn by Jor-El and others on the planet Krypton were covered with front projection material to create the highly unusual photographic effect shown. The filmmakers came up with the idea while doing tests for the special effects sequences.

Even a man who is pure of heart...
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 11:17:47 PM »

Gang - see my site homepage for a very special animated Marlon Brando - Superman related hommage...

I loved the guy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L