superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Silver Age Archive !  (Read 12342 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 01:35:36 PM »

D'Oh!

Well, it's still worth it, even at full price.

This looks like a job for...
Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »

Good news - various sources have confirmed this is shipping a week early, and will in fact arrive on 9/29.

4 more days!

Cheesy
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2004, 01:23:23 PM »

Got mine!

Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2004, 08:32:54 PM »

Just read the first couple of stories and I'm already totally immersed.

You can dissect "Super-Key to Fort Superman" a million ways - it's a brilliant story.

I'm sure I've read it several times before, but there's always some little Weisinger touch that jumps out at me upon rereading it.

This time it was that painting in the Fortress. What a concept! It's not enough to have Superman dabbling in the fine arts - we find him working on a Dali-esque alien landscape, with a pair of hands emerging ominously from the ground! But the Man of Steel assures the reader that this is no flight of fancy, he's sketching this from a telescopic view of an actual Martian landscape!!

Then, to top it off, he finds the painting has been finished off by an unseen intruder with an even more bizarre crystalline design, that Superman attests is an alien life form he's never seen before!

When we all find out that the intruder turns out to be Batman, I find it fascinating that Supes doesn't even question his pal about this strange crystal formation, as if it's nothing out of the ordinary for the Caped Crusader.

But then again - given that Jack Schiff was putting Batman on a first name basis with all kinds of critters during this era, perhaps the reader would have taken this in stride as well!

Great stuff!
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2004, 12:55:44 PM »

Just a cursory glance through this book reveals at least three blunders in the Table of Contents.

The first is the howler crediting Wayne Boring instead of Dick Sprang with the pencils on The Girl of Steel! from Superman #123.

In The Super-Merman of the Sea! (Action Comics #244), the inks, credited to Stan Kaye, are almost certainly those of Ray Burnley, brother of Jack.

By far the worst mistake, though, is crediting Curt Swan with the pencils on Krypton on Earth! (Action Comics #246), when they are very obviously by Wayne Boring, even to the most untrained eye! How anyone could make this most fundamental of mistakes is beyond me.

My only other real quibble at this time is that, in my opinion, this volume should have started off around about Action Comics #235, as these slightly earlier issues have more of a very late 1950s feel about them than stories from even the early-mid 1950s, but then again, the starting point was always going to be a fairly contentious issue.

Having said all that, I am still absolutely delighted to finally get this long anticipated volume in my hands.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L