superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Adventures of Superman DVD set  (Read 18605 times)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« on: July 15, 2004, 01:12:53 PM »

Has anybody seen this website offering for sale complete DVD sets (104 episodes) of The Adventures of Superman, for $139?

http://www.thesportsmaniacs.com/dvdinfo.php?SKU=S3-12

I find it rather unusual that these seem to be unavailable through any other source.

Are these legit?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 03:35:26 PM »

appears to be a bootleg. I would stay far away if I were you.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »

That was my impression too.

A pity if true, I would have loved to get hold of a set of these, but I don't think I'll be touching these particular ones with a forty foot barge-pole.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 01:13:44 PM »

Give Warner Bros another year or so, they're working on it.  It'll be worth the wait.

This looks like a job for...
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 12:06:33 PM »

Do Warner actually have the rights to the The Adventures of Superman TV series?

It is at least 20-25 years since this classic series was shown where I live, and for the life of me I can't recall which studio produced it.

Which is not to say, of course, that Warner haven't since bought out the rights, if they didn't already own them.
Tiberious
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 08:11:53 PM »

I think they still give it on Tv Land, late at night. I'll try to check what studio its from.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 09:06:55 PM »

I believe I did read that they were preparing something with the old TV show for DVD. However, when it will see the light of day, I do not know, but it should be worth the wait.

Just look how long it is taking King Kong to make it to DVD, but that will also be well worth the wait.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 02:44:54 AM »

My understanding is that DC Comics always owned the rights to the show.   In fact producer Whitney Ellsworth was the Superman comic editor until he went out to the West coast to oversee the show, opening the door for Mort Weisinger to step in as the Godfather of Superman comics.

Various histories I've read (including Les Daniel's "Superman: The Complete History") suggest the folks at DC (then National, or Superman DC Comics) were the ultimate bosses, with script approval and everything.

So when Warner Bros bought DC Comics, they got the show, too.

This of course is a different deal from the Batman show, which was produced and is owned by Twentieth Century Fox, even though the Batman character itself ("and all related indicia") are owned by DC/Warner.  Hence the legal tug-of-war that may keep that show from DVD release for all time.  More's the pity...I loved it!

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L